Thai iced tea is a popular drink that is served in many Thai restaurants. Thai iced tea is also known as cha yen, cha nom yen, or cha yen sai nom. It is enjoyed right across south-east Asia, either as a refreshing cold drink or served hot.
Thai iced tea is made from Ceylon black tea, condensed milk, and sugar plus plenty of ice. Drinking Thai iced tea has many health benefits as it contains antioxidants. Thai iced tea can help lower blood pressure and ease heart disorders as well as lower cholesterol levels. Drinking Thai iced tea helps suppress the appetite that can help those trying to lose weight.
How to make Thai iced tea
- 6 teacups water
- 1 quantity of tea mix* (made with 2 tablespoons of strong black Ceylon tea, 1 of star anise, 2 pods of cardamom, ½ cinnamon stick, ¼ vanilla bean, ½ teaspoon Tamarind powder, ¼ teaspoon almond extract)
- 4 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 4 – 6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- A large glass of crushed ice
1. Boil the water in a saucepan or kettle
2. Combine hot water with tea mix and sugar and stir to combine.
3. Allow the tea mixture to steep for 15 minutes.
4. Strain the tea into a large jug and put the jug into the fridge and allow to cool completely.
5. To serve, stir in the condensed milk and taste, adding more condensed milk is preferred. Pour the tea into tall glasses over plenty of crushed ice. Serve and enjoy!