Enjoying a Fruity frozen yogurt – affectionately known as ‘froyo’ – is the perfect healthy way to cool off on a summer’s day. They are so quick and easy to make too, using just a handful of ingredients. Froyo first appeared in the 1980s as the healthy alternative to ice cream and this summer is predicted to be as popular as ever!
You can use any type of yogurt, but you will find that Greek yogurt will give an extra creaminess. Honey gives a natural sweetness but it also gives the frozen yogurt ‘soft scoop’ benefits!
If you want to make a tasty vegan version, you can replace the yogurt with a dairy-free alternative and swap the honey for agave.
How To Make Frozen Yogurt
- 2 teacups of your chosen frozen fruit. (it is important to use frozen fruit)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (preferable citrus blossom)
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
1. Put the frozen fruit, honey, yogurt, and lemon juice into a food processor.
2. Blitz for about one minute until the mixture is creamy.
3. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container. Seal and freeze overnight (or eight hours).
4. Serve with some fresh fruit of the same kind e.g. fresh strawberries with strawberry frozen yogurt.
* Frozen yogurt can be stored for up to one month in your freezer.
Add some flavour!
Get creative with your flavors! Mix some shredded fresh basil leaves with frozen blueberries, some stewed rhubarb with strawberries, or if you love chocolate, dissolve a tablespoon of cocoa in boiling water and really chill. To the basic frozen fruits, you can add a tablespoon of crushed digestive biscuits and two tablespoons of cream cheese to make a tasty ‘cheesecake’ flavor, and crumbled chocolate brownie froyo is irresistible!